Monday, July 14, 2008

Identity control in America

Identity control in America..
We have now been here for 2 weeks and the most odd and irritating thing we have experienced is the ID control. The first place where you realize that Big Brother is watching you a lot more over here, is when you enter the boarder: fingerprint and a photo is taking of you... you feel that the attitude toward you as a guest is not friendly or open.
My sister was only bringing one backpack with her and got stopped on the way out of the airport of a security guard " hey is that all you got?? "was asked with a very suspected voice from him. Lucky my sister was quick and gave him a big smile " all I need is my bikinis" which made him laugh and we could move on. Another guy was asked the same question and had to justify for the amount of clothing he had brought with him.. really who cares?? and is it not better that we spend our money buying stuff rather than spending less money???

when you buy a train or long distance bus ticket you have to show your Passport and they put you in the system ... where is the freedom? this is about controlling people and making them aware of it. ...what happens if I wanna escape from someone? it seems like you are loosing the possibility so escape...
In Denmark we also check ID in relation to alcohol, but here we have been checked in every pub, club, restaurant, supermarket even when I wanted to try a chair that gives massage ! :)
Now one would think that the American people would be experts in checking ID ... but sorry to disappoint you they are not!! hahah we could not buy alcohol in a club because we ONLY had our passport with us and that did not show our age... sorry ... not a valid ID ..probably THE most valid ID :)
anyways i mention in the beginning that the attitude was a bit hostile towards strangers/tourists here but am underlining that it is the system that brings this feeling to me not the ordinary people whom I have meet here :) they are very nice and I have so far not had any negative episode 7-9-13 ( these are number you say in my country when something bad had not happen yet and you want it to remain this way)

2 comments:

Aloriel said...

Hi Cilja,

that's one of the most important reasons for which I don't wanna go there any more, I'm sorry but they are obsessed with "security".

Perhaps I will have to go a week, we have a client at the US, but I'm praying I won't have to carry a laptop...

Take care.

Anonymous said...

freedom? they don't have any. They just think they have it ;)